House ruined after 'gas explosion' in Marlborough Avenue, Goole – live updates – Hull Live

Residents evacuated as police close street
A house has been left in ruins following reports of a "gas explosion" in a Goole street.
Witnesses said residents had been evacuated and police had closed the road following the incident in Marlborough Avenue. At this time, it has not been confirmed whether there were casualties, though people living nearby said they believed no one was hurt.
Images showed severe damage to the first floor of the terraced house at the centre of the drama. It is believed to have happened at around 1am this morning (Sunday).
Read More: East Yorkshire dad died of single stab wound to his heart
One witness said she had spoken to police officers who told her a gas explosion was believed to have caused the damage. Another said neighbours had been evacuated to a Goole church.
Lidija Jeremejeva said she lived opposite the ruined house. "I was told there are No victims. This afternoon we should be able to be back to our homes," she wrote on Facebook.
"Right now everyone is gone except the workers who cleaned the ruins and the police control blocking half of the street from the roundabout to the middle of the street."
Humberside Police and the fire service have been contacted for comment.
We will bring you live updates in our blog below.
A driver turned the corner and watched the house explode in front of him. Jonathan Kirk, who was visiting Goole from Hull, captured the moment on dashcam. He stopped to help and saw a man escaping from a shattered window. His friend called 999. Watch the footage and read the full story here.
A spokesperson for Humberside Police said: "We are in attendance at the scene of a suspected gas explosion at a house on Malborough Road in Goole. We were called at 1.10am today (Sunday 22 January) to reports of an explosion and fire at the address.
"The area was cordoned off to allow emergency services to work safely and for the safety of the public.
No one is reported to have been seriously injured. A man has been arrested at the scene on suspicion of committing arson with intent to endanger life. He has been taken into police custody.
"Neighbouring properties have been evacuated as a precaution. Occupants of all neighbouring properties have been accounted for.
"A road closure and police cordon remain in place, and we are asking for people to stay away from the area whilst emergency services deal with the incident."


Leave a Comment